Tuesday, April 12, 2011

826LA Panel

On Sunday, Dad and I took a trip out to Hollywood to attend a writing panel organized by 826LA, a local nonprofit organization. The talk featured three prominent Hollywood writers: Jen Kirkman, who performs stand-up and formerly worked for Chelsea Lately; Brian Stack, who works for Conan O’ Brien, and Bob Odenkirk, who created the sketch show Mr. Show, worked for Saturday Night Live and is currently associated with AMC’s hit series Breaking Bad.
The panel was held at Nerdist Industries at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood. The venue was a relatively cramped facility, but there was enough room for everyone; there were several empty seats available when the show began, which was about a half hour later than advertised. Adorning the walls and rafters were many oddities and nerd-related paraphernalia. Right above my father and me stood a plastic rat covered in blood and a little painting on the wall of a “dust bunny” from one of my favorite movies, Miyazaki’s classic My Neighbor Totoro.
Seeing as it was about a 45-minute drive from our house to the venue, I needed to use the restroom before the event began. As soon as I entered the cramped little bathroom in the back, I was greeted by what I can only describe as the most beautiful depiction of Satan taking a shit I’ve ever seen. Every little detail about the painting was elegant, from the drops of sweat forming upon the Prince of Darkness’s forehead to the clear strain that inhabited every muscle on the devil’s body. The painting appeared to be oil on canvas and was featured in a plain but ornate frame. Truly a modern masterpiece.
The event itself was hilarious and informative. The panel members, led by comic book writer Adam Beechen, all shared their views and stories on the comedy industry, including Odenkirk’s grim tale of the comedy boom of the 1980s and its sudden, inevitable collapse. It was amazing to get an inside look at what life in the entertainment business is like; the prospect was intimidating and exciting at the same time. I tried to take notes throughout, but I was so engrossed in the discussion that all I could remember to take down were the names of performers who would soon be coming to town. They’ll be holding more events in the future, and Dad and I agreed we should attend another one.

2 comments:

  1. I took all of one picture. The room was pretty dimly lit, so it was difficult to get any good pictures of the panel. The one I managed to get was of the bloody rat and the Totoro thing.

    ReplyDelete