Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Through the Fence Baseball and BBQ

I can't believe I haven't posted it here yet, but I've got my first writing gig! Check me out at Through the Fence Baseball! I'm covering the Angels as a regular contributor. Should be a lot of fun. I'm already learning a lot more about the craft of writing, the sport of baseball and my poor Angels, who laid a giant goose egg yesterday at the hands of the crummy A's. I've got an article pending that will hopefully be up before the day is done.
This has been a pretty interesting experience so far, mostly because I've never actually written articles about sports before. They're not postgame wraps, either. Rather, they cover interesting themes or topics I've noticed while watching so much baseball.
With the (temporary) return of warm weather to Southern California, I've had plenty of opportunities to get in some pre-summer grilling. I think the best thing I've cooked so far is some pretty badass pork ribs. A great dry rub recipe in conjunction with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (recommended to me by my friend Amos) really made for some flavorful ribs. I look forward to the days when I can go outside and cook. I may not always do a good job, but I like to learn about what works and what doesn't along the way.
Speaking of cooking, my family's moving forward with a pretty elaborate plan to improve the house before renting it out and moving. The latest phase in the project is completely redoing the kitchen. We knocked out most of the overhead cupboards over the weekend, and we'll probably take the rest of the cupboards out and demolish the counter in the coming weeks. From there, we'll have everything replaced and move on with the overall project. The bathroom is probably next.
I've heard that Seth MacFarlane is moving forward with a reboot of The Flintstones. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how that pans out. It probably won't be as horrendous as the Internet is making it out to be.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the writing gig!

    And I KNOW you saw the A's make it rain on the Angels last night to tie for first place. =b

    And yeah can't go wrong with Sweet Baby Rays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that sucked. At least they broke up the no-no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the writing gig!

    You're moving? Where to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jeff!
    It's not quite set in stone yet, but the family's talking about moving to a bigger house. It's not necessarily going to be somewhere else entirely, but it'll probably be closer to where my dad works.

    ReplyDelete