Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's Going to be a Long Battle

So, after much deliberation, I decided on a schedule for this thing. I thought that at first, I would try to update the blog on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but I think it would be prudent to go ahead and try Tuesdays and Thursdays first, if only because something is more likely to happen two times a week than three.
I've also gotten critical advice from some of my friends, most of which has been pretty helpful. So I'll take that into consideration, as well.
There are times where the only voices that will get through to you will be those from your family. That rang very true last night. My dad sat me down and we had a really eye-opening discussion. I needed it, and I kind of realized how long it had been since I'd had a discussion that meaningful with my father. Or anybody in my family, for that matter.
I've had several friends give me advice and guidance along the way, and I don't intend to cheapen your contributions. I've followed your words closely, but when someone in your family calls you out, it hits home more than anything else really could.
What's most frustrating to me about this whole situation is that I've come about as close as humanly possible to people literally holding my hand to guide me along my post-collegiate journey. Several of you would agree with that. I've had people pull me aside and help me set goals and try to find motivation for the things I need to do with my life. While I thank my friends and family for that help, it still reflects poorly on myself that I sort of entered such a depressed state after school ended.
I'm not saying that I was miraculously cured of my shortcomings overnight. I have a LOT to work on, especially with regard to my attitude and my relationship with my family. But acknowledging that such faults exist is a hell of a start.
EDIT 10:27pm And no, I did not get either of the two jobs mentioned in the previous post. It was a learning experience, let me tell you.

2 comments:

  1. what was this about? i fell asleep reading this...

    edit: just kidding, i was drinking at cloud 9..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good bud! How are you doing your schedule? Does it send you automatic reminders? I like those, it helps me remember things like my girlfriend's birthday :)

    Could we get a post on what went well and what went bad in the interview? I'd love to have you break it down. And don't worry about screwing up, you're always going to mess things up in the beginning. It's just how it is.

    ReplyDelete