Thursday, March 17, 2011

Movin' on

Let me start off by saying that comments (provided they're constructive) are appreciated and encouraged. I take your input very seriously, readers.
As I mentioned in an edit to Tuesday's post, I got neither job to which I last applied. Both came as a result of general incompetence on my part, but at the very least, I gained a little bit of knowledge from the whole experience.
The big goof-ups I'd rather not go into, mainly because there isn't too much to gain from those behind some obvious corrections which are already in progress. Suffice to say that if you start a new e-mail account, you'd better be damn sure you have a way to check it regularly.
I've only had one face-to-face interview so far. That was the one from which I garnered the most information. The main nugget of information I garnered from that particular session was that, for the love of GOD, do not show up to an interview in anything other than a relaxed, alert state. I was certainly alert for that one, but "relaxed" was the last thing I would have ever described myself in that instant. I was so rattled primarily because it was my first interview, but also because there were a couple of last-minute hitches in my plan to get there that had me literally yelling in exasperation.
That's not to say the interview went badly; the position was advertised as an entry-level position, so the interviewer was perfectly aware that she would see her fair share of jittery applicants. She assured me throughout the interview that she had gone through the same bout of nerves the first time she had interviewed for a job. It made me feel a lot better.
Despite the employer's insistence that I had no reason to worry, I felt a tremendous amount of pressure, especially when it came to the question that I would be fine with committing to the organization for a career. It didn't sound so bad during the interview. But afterward, the more I thought about it, the more I realized what a daunting prospect it was. The position itself seemed like little more than hawking free offers to Home Depot-goers, and I don't know if that was "it" for me.
Regardless, things didn't quite work out and I didn't get either job. Just going to shake it off, learn what I have to learn and get to it again. I'm going to try to multiply my application output this time around.

1 comment:

  1. Experience is all that is needed. Pick up a C++ book and learn how to code. Trust me, it will go a long way.

    ReplyDelete